6/18/12

Alone With The Songs In My Head


Today was the first day of vacation bible school for my kiddos. Although my kids and I have been involved at our church's VBS every year except one for the last seven years, this year had a couple of crucial firsts.

  1. This is the first time all three are old enough to attend. This is also the last time they will all be attending together unless my oldest decides to volunteer. 
  2. This is the first time that I will NOT be volunteering. I've worked with music, games, crafts, nursery, and four-year-olds. I'd still do music if it weren't for point number three:
  3. This is the first time in three years that I will be all alone in the house and I am almost embarrassed at how giddy I am at getting a few hours of alone time. 

Someone once told me that the tunes that pop in your head have meaning. You should listen to the lyrics that are looping to get a glimpse at what your subconscious is thinking. I have no idea if that is true, but the songs I started humming today were fitting. As I pulled in my drive, I started humming the Handel's Hallelujah Chorus.

Hallelujah! Hallelujah! 
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! 
For the lord God omnipotent reigneth...


Cliche' I know, but true. That song was stuck in my head and thanks to my days in choir, I heard the harmony part!  That lasted until it was replaced by the chorus of Vacation by the Go-Go's :

Vacation, all I ever wanted
Vacation, had to get away
Vacation, meant to be spent alone. 

Humming and dancing (hey! no one was watching!) I decided to get some house work done without interruptions. Cue Elvis in my brain.. just the intro and the first line...

A little less conversation 
A little more action please.

Perhaps he was singing about something besides housework, but it worked for me. By then it was time to go get them again. I decided to indulge in NPR on the ride to get them. After all, if I didn't turn on the real radio, who knows what I would have started humming next!


2 comments:

  1. Always lovely to have a few hours to yourself every now and again! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i hear ya--hi, i am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete