1/21/11

Books



I just purchased a wonderful book:  The Well-Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had by Susan Wise Bauer. This book is essentially a guide to reading, completing, and actually getting something out of the classical writings we all know but haven't read. Apparently I am not alone when I say I cannot understand what is so great about the "greats" because I have already talked to several friends who have had the same experience. I have several classics on my shelves and have even attempted many of them, I just don't enjoy them nor understand their importance. And yet, I want to read them! I want to be able to draw my own conclusions as to whether they are good or not. So, here I go.

Susan Wise Bauer is also the author of The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home (Third Edition) from which I base most of our curriculum. Reading through the classics will not only improve my own education, but better prepare me for teaching them when the time comes to introduce them to the kids. At least, that is my hope.

Speaking of books, I just added a page to the blog that shows what my kids are currently reading. I'd love it if you'd check it out. I'm always looking for good stories for the kids so feel free to post any of your favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment